Follow Friday -- Shrinking Violet Promotions

Katherine Longshore 2 Friday, April 15, 2011
If you haven't read V's post from yesterday, read it now.  Every single word of it spoke to me.  (especially the wrist guards).  But one thing that popped up in my consciousness after the book deal is marketing.  Now, there have been all kinds of articles and all sorts of debates about authors marketing for themselves, about social media marketing, about the need for authors to be everpresent on Twitter or to disperse all manner of bookmarks, bookplates, cards, t-shirts and swag.

It gets to be exhausting.

Especially for someone like me.  I'm perfectly happy to sit and listen.  But unless you give me a role to play, I don't tend to speak up in front of strangers.  I get an "I did it!" thrill every time I get a comment on the blog or @ mention on Twitter.  Because otherwise, I could just be talking to myself (something I do very easily, by the way -- part of that creative madness, I guess).

This is a roundabout way of coming to my Follow Friday:  Shrinking Violet Promotions.  Every Monday, R.L. LaFevers (author of the Theodosia and Nathaniel Fludd series) and Mary Hershey (author of the Effie series) post a incisive and helpful article about how to go about marketing your work when you don't naturally gravitate to the limelight.  Not only that, they also give helpful hints about how to spend less time on the blogosphere in order to optimize your writing time.  I love them.  They make me feel better about being an introvert.

You can also find R.L. LaFevers on Twitter

2 comments

Just read the blurb on your book. WOW!!!! Can't wait to read it!

*Looks over shoulder* Were you talking to me, Jenny? If so, thanks! Yours sounds pretty fabulous, too!

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate