Bad Taste in Boys, by Carrie Harris -- a Bookanista Review



This week on the blog we've been looking at beach reads. For me, the term beach read isn't genre-specific. It can be a mystery, a romance, a historical novel. As long as I can slip into the story quickly and be entertained, that's a great beach read.
I've actually been at the beach all week in Miami, so the timing for something that fit the bill was perfect. I chose Bad Taste In Boys, by Carrie Harris. It's a zombie book, which wouldn't have been the first thing I'd have grabbed, but after reading the first chapter, I was hooked.
Here's a short description:
Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steriods are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe--not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah . . . not even Kate! She's got to find an antidote--before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town . . . and stay hormonally human.
I've read a handful of books with zombies in them, but not one of them made me laugh. Bad Taste in Boys did. A lot.
This story delivers what you expect on the gore and fear, but Kate Grable's smart, self-deprecating humor was what kept me turning pages. I liked her relationships with friends, Rocky and Kiki, but I particularly enjoyed her brother Jonah. The siblings were funny, believable and well-drawn. Their scenes together were among my favorite. Kate's romance with Aaron, a hunky and smart quarterback, was adorable and also provided plenty of laughs.
This is a fast-paced story with a clever easy-to-root-for protagonist. Be prepared to laugh. A great debut by Carrie Harris!
Check out what the rest of the Bookanistas are reading this week:
Elana Johnson celebrates A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie
LiLa Roecker adores Torn
Christine Fonseca is crazy about Cryer’s Cross – with giveaway
Beth Revis interviews Goddess Test author Aimee Carter – with giveaway
Carolina Valdez Miller delights in Texas Gothic AND Bad Taste in Boys – with giveaways
Jessi Kirby is giddy about Hourglass
Shana Silver fawns over Forever
Jen Hayley is hot for Wildfire
Matt Blackstone savors Something Like Hope
Stasia Ward Kehoe jumps for Bumped

4 comments

Loving the intriguing beach reading recs. Now if I can just get the 3 year old to NAP on the beach so I can read. Will give it a shot.

This is perfect, I need a book that makes me laugh. Thanks for the recommendation, it's going on my list.

Yes! What a fun, quirky read. Totally took me by surprise. Great for the beach!

Hope you're having a super time in Miami! Wish I were there...

PB - yeah... mine are a little older. Once the sand castle is underway... Heather, this is a fun one. Great voice. Carol, thanks! Wish you were here, too!

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate