Fracture by Megan Miranda - A Bookanista Review

Description:

Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine - despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?



My Thoughts: 


From the first page, this story drew me in. FRACTURE has a beautiful dark atmosphere, well-rounded and likeable characters and a terrific sense of rising stakes. By the end, I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough.

Delaney is a character that I would love to have as a friend. She’s smart, vulnerable at times, tough and headstrong in others. I enjoyed every moment in this character’s point of view. When she made mistakes, I was riveted and worried for her—never frustrated. She felt completely dimensional to me, because we got to see her relationship with her friends, her parents, strangers. Every one of these relationships was nuanced and evolved through the course of the story. I particularly loved her relationship with her mother, which was so real and well done. Miranda broke my heart a few times with their interactions. 

I also adored Decker, Delaney’s best friend. Every time these two were on the page together, I was holding my breath. Fantastic chemistry....This is such an easy pair to love.

The story has a great balance of romance, light paranormal elements and a mystery, and as I mentioned above, it all weaves together seamlessly. FRACTURE is a quick, smart read with depth and great characters.

Highly recommended!

Check out our other Bookanista Reviews this week. (Umm... There's one in there that I recognize.)

Elana Johnson takes a shine to A MILLION SUNS
Jessi Kirby devours BITTERSWEET
Katy Upperman  ponders THE FUTURE OF US
Stasia Ward Kehoe sends Santa her YA book wish list
Shannon Whitney Messenger adores UNDER THE NEVER SKY with preorder giveaway

3 comments

I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of FRACTURE, too, and aMEN, Veronica. I loved this book.

I got the ARC for this at BEA, and I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I really need to get on that.

I've heard so many great things about FRACTURE, and that cover is freaking amazing. Can't wait to read this on... Thanks for the recommendation, Veronica!

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate