Book Blog - FIRE by Kristen Cashore

Last week, I had the good fortune of attending the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) conference in Vegas and was on a panel for the Assembly on Literature for Adolescents (ALAN).  Although my world outside of writing is deeply involved in education and teaching, it was so energizing to see so many educators all in one room passionately talking about books and literacy.

On Sunday night, there was a wonderful mixer for the ALAN authors and participants.  The ballroom was crowded and the conversation lively, so it was hard at times to catch all the names as I was introduced to lots of new faces.  In fact, one name completely escaped me as my editor introduced me to a dark haired woman.  I'm sure my face was a little blank as she shook my hand, because my editor leaned in to say, "You might know her as the author of the Graceling books."

OMG!  I just met Kristen Cashore??  It was like meeting royalty!

I love the Graceling books, but I especially love FIRE.  If you are creating worlds, fantastical or contemporary, this is a book to read.  It will inspire your writing and your imagination.




From the Author's Website:  
FireGraceling's stand-alone prequel-ish companion book, takes place across the mountains to the east of the seven kingdoms, in a rocky, war-torn land called the Dells.

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate