RAISED BY WOLVES by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Maybe you haven’t discovered Jennifer Lynn Barnes yet.  Possibly, you’re a fan of smart, tough heroines who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.  Perhaps you just want a paranormal that transcends the genre.  If so, you should check out RAISED BY WOLVES.  
Bryn is a human who lost her parents during a brutal attack by a rogue werewolf.  Rescued by Callum, the local werewolf pack leader, Bryn is literally raised among the pack.  But she’s not a werewolf and she constantly pushes the boundaries of Callum’s rule, resisting submission to the pack culture.  When she learns about Chase, a teen boy who was attacked by a rogue wolf and survived to turn were, Bryn will do anything to meet him.  She’s sure that he can help her understand the attack on her own family, and she’s willing to acquiesce to Callum and the pack if that’s what it takes.  But can she?  

I loved the complex world and strong relationships.  The werewolves live within a pack hierarchy that feels authentic, seamlessly incorporating wolf characteristics with human ones.  Bryn is a great character, a fighter who guards her humanity with a fierceness that rivals the wolves.  Her voice is smart, self-aware and peppered with humor.  I also loved Callum, the pack leader and father figure who must make hard choices of his own. 

The romance is sweet, built on an emotional bond forged of common experience.  But the focus of the book is Bryn’s path to self discovery, as she comes to terms with her horrific past and discovers her place in the werewolf society she’s resisted for so long.

The ending is satisfying, wrapping up the major plot points, while raising the specter of future conflict that will undoubtedly come to pass in the sequel, TRIAL BY FIRE, which will be released in 2011.  I thoroughly enjoyed RAISED BY WOLVES, and I hope you will too.

Comment, tweet @yamuses, or follow the blog to be entered to win a copy of RAISED BY WOLVES and BLEEDING VIOLET by Dia Reeves, two of the books I’ve enjoyed and reviewed here in recent months.  You’ll also be entered for our Thursday and Friday giveaways in celebration of the anniversary of the day the YA Muses met in a critique group at Big Sur.

4 comments

I've never heard of the book before. Sounds a lot like SHIVER, which I enjoyed. I'm not big into the were thing, but I might add it to my TBR pile. Thanks for the great review!

I always love a good werewolf book and I've never read anything by Jennifer Lynn Barnes that I didn't like so I'll definitely be looking for it. I think 2011 is going to be a year filled with great books.

I'm dying to read this! Especially after hearing your review!

So good to know! Will ad to my list of "must reads". Thanks for reviewing.

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate