Book Blog -- SCARLET by A.C. Gaughen

Katherine Longshore 3 Tuesday, February 14, 2012
I am thrilled to be able to tell you all about this book.  Full disclosure -- I have met the lovely A.C. personally and she is a 2k12 classmate.  But I'm sure I would have been delighted by SCARLET no matter what.

From Goodreads:


Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. 


Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.


I have been a fan of this legend since I saw Errol Flynn nocking arrows and buckling his swash in the the epic Adventures of Robin Hood.  Who can not fall in love with the man who steals from the rich to give to the poor?  The grassroots monkey wrencher of medieval England?

And the fiery Will Scarlet has always been one of my favorite characters (yes, even before Christian Slater played him).  Gaughen brings the legend to life in a new and ingenious way, giving us a female lead who is both swashbuckler and infatuated teen.

We're talking about Romance this week, in honor of today (Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!), but I just want to say that I loved the refreshing romantic underplay of SCARLET.  Gaughen's character is a belligerent and stubborn fighter.  She clings to her own moral code with a fierceness that is inspiring.  For Scarlet, the world comes first and love second, which makes her romantic story all the more poignant and believable.

SCARLET debuts today.

3 comments

Ah, Christian Slater as Will Scarlet. Those were the good ol' days. I still quote lines of his from that movie.

Also, so excited to buy Scarlet! Feels like I've been waiting for it for ages.

It's great to see a new take on this old tale. Sounds like a wonderful book to add to my TBR list.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate