Book Blog - DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT



I, like many, eagerly awaited Laini Taylor’s DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT, the sequel to her amazing DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE. From her website:
Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is--and what she is. But with this knowledge comes anoher truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.
 In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.
 While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope. But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?
And it was well worth the wait. While not my usual book, Taylor's contortion of the angel vs. demon saga in SMOKE & BONE hooked me. And then her witty, flawed characters kept me there. In BLOOD & STARLIGHT, Taylor succeeds in deepening her world, enriching her already complex cast, and leaving the reader flipping page after twisty-page. And get this, BLOOD & STARLIGHT is a NY Times Bestseller...guess I'm not the only one who pre-ordered a copy!

And even better (for some of us), there’s not nearly as much teenage girl swooning in this installment of the trilogy and a lot more of the action-packed fighting and great mystery -- which is what kept me enthralled in SMOKE & BONE. Now, I'm eager for the next novel!

2 comments

What is your "usual book," Bret? Because you read a lot of stuff with swooning in it, seems to me.

Okay, I don't mind the teenage swooning because if you look to your writing partners, their books are filled with that, and yeah, I read YA. But I do read MG, too. No swooning there. I'm so glad to read your review and not have any spoilers. I LOVE Laini Taylor. Her blog, her books, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was one that I was going to skip. I'm not much of a fantasy girl.

I have never been more wrong. I could read it over and over again. There are only a few books I can say that about. I'm savoring Days. I have had it here since it came out. I'm waiting to read it on Christmas vacation. It's like a present to myself. "Here kids go play with your toys. Mommy's reading."

Glad you enjoyed it!!

Heather

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate