SPIES AND PREJUDICE (and fangirling)

Katherine Longshore Reply Wednesday, June 12, 2013
OK.  So I'm a little bit in love with all of Talia's characters.  All of them.  Tanner, of course, is the ultimate modern-day Darcy.  Only sexier.  Berry is sharp-tongued and quick-witted and is absolutely the girl I wished I was in high school.  Mary Chris is nice as pie, never says an unkind word and has the tech intelligence of an Apple employee.  And Jason?  Don't get me started on Jason!  There was a moment in the drafting process of SPIES where Jason became a killed darling and I went into a decline.  I can't tell you how thrilled I am that he is in the book you can read today.

All the supporting characters in SPIES AND PREJUDICE do more than support.  They add color and texture and depth and comic relief.  Collin has been one of my favorite characters from the very beginning--a wonderfully different take on Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Collins.  But definitely a love-hate thing.  I don't know if I would want to meet him in real life.  Ryan--Mary Chris's love interest--is deliciously sweet.  And Drew?  Well.  Let's just say I have a thing for bad boys who aren't all bad.  Berry's dad, Mary Chris's dad, the Dead Presidents--every single character is fully-formed and delightfully memorable.

Talia Vance has a talent for character.  A talent for clever, witty dialogue and droll observations.  For individuals who resonate in your imagination long after you finish the book.

And she has a talent for putting them into engaging, fast-paced plots that keep you reading into the wee hours, only to leave you wanting to start all over again when you're done.

But don't take my word for it.  These things are always better experienced in person.




Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate