Best Book I've Read In A While...Defiance



So, I started reading De Fiance by C.J. Redwine and I was extremely disappointed to find out that there are no engaged characters in the book! So after reading and reading and never coming across a "fiance," I finally realized that the title of the book is Defiance. That made so much more sense.

OK, deep breath.

This book...I...I...

*wipes tear of joy running down cheek

I loved it! L-O-V-E.

After I finished it, I legit dropped to one knee and said, "Defiance, I love you. Would you do me the honor of spending the rest of your life in my arms?"

I waited for like three hours until my knee hurt real bad, but Defiance wouldn't answer.

It hurt on my insides. The rejection was more than I could handle, and also my knee was throbbing and my leg was starting to cramp up.

And then it hit me: books don't have vocal chords and stuff...or mouths...and...other parts, they choose to communicate in other ways.

After slapping myself in the forehead I said, "Defiance, if you love me and want to be with me forever, give me a sign."

Then it happened. It really happened. You may find this hard to believe, but I SWEAR that it happened. I saw it with my own three eyes! The girl on the cover of the book...you know, the one with the red hair...she turned and winked at me. I SWEAR!!

It was sign.

Also, has anyone seen my medication?

I almost don't know where to begin. There are so many things that I love about Defiance. It's a perfect example of why YA is the coolest kid in school. It's like drinking the perfect smoothie with all the important ingredients added at all the right times and mixed together in a way that maximizes the joy of the experience.

Action? Yes
Romance? Yes
Originality? Yes
Characters to love? Yes
Characters to hate? Yes
Characters with different motivations? Yes
Chapters to compel the reader to start the next chapter even though it's really freaking late? Yes
Excellent writing? Yes
Cool setting? Yes
Awesomeness? Yes
Reasons to Fanman? Yes
Author with a cool last name? Yes
Book cover that doesn't make me roll my eyes? Yes

Lame story? No
Stupid, annoying characters? No
Cheesy, unrealistic teenage love? No
Boring? No
Makes me barf? No
Checked Twitter while reading? No
Fell asleep while reading? No
Used pages for a campfire? No

Ya feel me?

The main character is so awesome! She's the perfect mix of kick-your-ass and vulnerability. We get to see both sides! This makes her easy to relate to and it makes you want her to succeed.

The "bad guy" in this story is an asshole. I hate him and I want him to get his tail kicked. But, he's not just a monster without a cause, he has his own motivations...you can feel it. C.J. did an amazing job of making me want to see him defeated, while still making me want to learn more about him. That's a difficult task!

The lover boy in this story is one of the best I've read. Like, I didn't throw up in my mouth even once. He has a past that drives him, a present that he doesn't always know what to do with, and a plan for the future that he's constantly working out. And most importantly, he treats his lady with respect and isn't threatened by her mad killing skillz. He's the kind of guy that YA needs more of.

The fantasy element to the story is perfect. It doesn't overwhelm the plot, but instead makes it interesting and unique. Love it.

I give Defiance an EASY 7 out of 7 marriage proposals.

OH! One more thing...there are tree people in the story. I just feel like you should know that.

Post a Comment

Grid_spot theme adapted by Lia Keyes. Powered by Blogger.

Search

discover what the Muses get up to when they're not Musing

an ever-growing resource for writers

Popular Musings

Your Responses

Fellow Musers

Translate